(Photo : Reuters)
Reports are circulating that Samsung's Galaxy S3 has surpassed Apple's iPhone 4s as the top-selling U.S. smartphone in August. This is the first time that Apple has given up the top spot in the U.S. marketplace to a competitor and the news has consumers all wound up. As we wait for the upcoming iPhone 5 launch, here is what customers around the world have to say about the 4s upset:
Like Us on Facebook
- "When people are given unrestricted and open choices between competing products, they will determine which product is the most desirable by buying it. Currently, the Samsung models are what people want. It's a shame that Apple would prefer to restrict what the consumer is permitted to choose. That limitation on consumer freedom of choice is a very big factor these days."
- ...People are waiting for the new iPhones due out next week. It wouldn't be the obvious choice to buy something when it will be replaced in a few weeks. Maybe we can discuss numbers again in October."
- "I'm glad to see this news. You see, the tech industry in smartphones and computers has changed. Instead of competition, you only have one brand that is trying to take it all over. In this case, Apple. The Galaxy S3 is an amazing phone and it was designed brilliantly...I would say the Galaxy S3 deserves the top spot."
- I think this is a sing to Apple that consumers are not happy with their lawsuits against a competitor that is bringing great products to consumers...right now consumers are supporting Samsung because we think the Galaxy S3 is a better product."
- "I know a couple of Apple designers...[and] while they believe their product is easier to use and more elgantly designed, they also realize that the new iPhone is the last of the Steve Jobs-designed masterpieces. They have been, as best I can tell, terrified of changing it in spite of what the competition has done. No one, not even Apple, really knows what they are going to do next."
It is split down the middle as to whether Samsung ultimately deserves their victory over Apple in the marketplace, however once the iPhone 5 comes out and the numbers are recalculated then consumers will be able to see which company will hold the top place and why. With the iPhone 5 launch slated for this upcoming week, and the consumer release coming in the next month the company holding the top spot in the U.S. marketplace will be revealed without a doubt.