NEW YORK - JUNE 07: David Bowie attends the 2010 CFDA Fashion Awards at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center on June 7, 2010 in New York City. (Photo : Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images)
The entertainment industry is mourning the loss of one of the most iconic stars of the music industry. David Bowie died at the age of 69.
David Bowie's representative confirmed to Hollywood Reported that the star died at the age of 69 on Sunday. The musician passed away surrounded by his family after fighting cancer for 18 months. Fans and people who have been touched by his music mourned the loss of one of the biggest influential stars in the industry.
"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief," read a statement on his official Facebook account.
Throughout his life, the singer, songwriter and music producer ventured in a lot of different genres. His music covered glam rock, art rock, hard rock, soul, dance pop, electronica and pop. On January 8, which was also his birthday, the artist released his 25th album "Blackstar."
Although many were able to witness his life as it became public for everyone to see, there are a couple of things that some people might not know about Bowie.
1. His left eye seems like a different color from his right eye. According to an article by Time, the singer got in a fist fight when he was 15 over a girl. Bowie got punched in the face and accidentally injured his eyeball. The muscles that contracted his left pupil were left paralyzed so it ended up permanently dilated.
2. He revealed that John Lennon made him eat an egg cooked in horse piss. When he did an interview in 2002 For GQ magazine, the singer was asked about the worst food he has eaten. He then recalled a time when he was in Hong Kong with John Lennon in the late 70's. Bowie revealed that "The Beatles" star shoved a "thousand-day-old egg cooked in horse piss" in his mouth.
3. The singer has a fear of flying. Bowie admitted that he disliked being on a plane. He said that this phobia happened before 9/11 and started when his baby was born. However, he admits that he loves travelling via the "Queen Elizabeth II."
4. Actress Susan Sarandon confessed that they had a romantic affair. When asked about a wild love affair with a big celebrity, the actress mentioned Bowie's name and described him as interesting and bright.
5. He was ecstatic when he turned 50. While some celebrities will do everything to reverse the age process, Bowie said that it was great to turn 50.
"I cannot express to younger people how great it is to be this age. It's like describing the taste of a peach. They'll find out when they get here."