A view of the 15-inch MacBook Retina Pro (Photo Credit: Apple.com/screenshot)
Mac users can breathe a sigh of relief as Microsoft has released an update for Office 2011 that'll make it compatible with the latest Retina Display.
Last Latinos Post reported last month, MacBook Pro with Retina Display owners have complained about the Office programs using words such as "fuzzy," "crap," and "blurry."
Like Us on Facebook
Prior to the update, the only Office programs that supported Retina was Outlook 2011.
In the new update, titled Version 14.2.4, the Office for Mac 2011 programs will support Retina Display.
According to the Office for Mac Team, "Text everywhere is incredibly crisp an all key areas of the interface are now sharper than ever."
Before installing the Office 2011 update, the computer must be running on Mac OS X v10.5.8 or a newer version of a Mac OS X operating system. The Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.1 Update must also be installed before downloading the new 14.2.4 update.
If unsure if your MacBook Pro has the Version 14.1 Update, follow these steps to verify:
1. On the Go menu, click Applications.
2. Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then open any Office application (for example, open Word).
3. On the Word menu, click About Word.
4. In the About Word dialog box, compare the version number next to Latest Installed Update.
The new 14.2.4 Update applies to the following Microsoft programs:
1. Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011,
2. Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011,
3. Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 Home Use Program,
4. Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011,
5. Microsoft Office for Mac Standard 2011,
6. Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011,
7. Microsoft Lync for Mac 2011,
8. Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011,
9. Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2011,
10. Microsoft Word for Mac 2011.
News of the update occurs as the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is reported to be released this month or October. DigiTimes has reported the 13-inch version have started "mass shipping."
To download the 14.2.4 Update, click here.
Instructions, courtesy of Microsoft.com:
1. Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with the installation.
2. Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
3. Click Download, or click the link for the language version that you want.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop or your Downloads folder unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
5. Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 5 to place the Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.4 Update volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.4 Update volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.
6. In the Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.4 Update volume window, double-click the Office 2011 14.2.4 Update application to start the update process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
7. If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the update installer from your hard disk. To remove the update installer, first drag the Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.4 Update volume to the Trash, and then drag the file that you downloaded to the Trash.