Borussia Dortmund's Robert Lewandowski applauds during a reception at the Signal Iduna stadium in Dortmund, May 26, 2013. Borussia Dortmund lost the Chamions league final against Bayern Munich at Wembley stadium in London yesterday. (Photo : REUTERS/Ina Fassbender (GERMANY - Tags: SPORT SOCCER))
Robert Lewandowski clarified his transfer situation on Wednesday.
The Borussia Dortmund striker was forced to talk to reporters about statements he made earlier in the week regarding whether he was going to Bayern Munich in January.
"Yes, because I can officially sign the new contract in January," he said Tuesday, according to ESPN.
The comment made numerous reporters jump to the conclusion that the striker was ready to leave for Munich once the transfer window opened in January.
"Looking at the video [of his interview] again, I became frightened of it," Lewandowski said in an interview with Sport Bild. "What I really wanted to express right after the game was that I will be able to pen a new deal in January at the earliest. I only wanted to answer the question of when I will finally be taking a stand on my future," Lewandowski added. "Like I have said many times, I want to leave Borussia Dortmund in the summer. Everything else I can only say in January."
In a summer filled with transfer drama, Lewandowski often got overlooked by bigger names like Gareth Bale, Luis Suarez and Cesc Fabregas. However, Lewandowski stated throughout the summer that he wanted to sign a contract with Bayern Munich. When his team refused to let him go to its rival, he made a number of comments expressing his disappointment and even stated that the team had promised to let him go.
Dortmund currently sits in a tie for first place in the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich.